The University of Pretoria Admission Requirements – University of Pretoria Admission Information for 2023/2024 is now released online.
Read all requirements listed below before applying.
The University of Pretoria Admission Requirements / Admission Information 2023/2024
See all Requirement and Admission Information Below.
(3 years full-time study)
This study programme consists of compulsory courses in both Mathematics and Physics. The physics coursework covers various fields such as Solid-state Physics, Relativity and Atomic Physics, Optics, Semiconductors, Electronics, Nuclear Physics and Electricity.
Lab work is an important component of the course, teaching students techniques of measurement, skills in the use of laboratory equipment, data collection and processing, and scientific methods. Optional courses such as Chemistry, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics can also be included and is recommended.
During the third year of study, students have the opportunity to take optional courses consisting of physics projects which expose students to problem-solving approaches to current and relevant issues in the field of physics. These are recommended for students who wish to gain practical and integrated experience in the real-world applications of physics.
- National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- Mathematics: 5 (C Symbol: 60%-69%) (Note that Mathematical Literacy will not be accepted)
- Physical Science: 5 (C Symbol: 60%-69%)
- English or Afrikaans: 4 (D Symbol: 50%-59%)
- Life Orientation: 4 (D Symbol: 50%-59%) (Excluded when calculating the APS)
- Two other subjects: 4 (D Symbol: 50%-59%)
- An Admission Points Score (APS) of 32
- Admission test
- Copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- Copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (internet copies will not be accepted)
- Copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID / passport (international students)
- Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
Please note that these results do not guarantee that students will be admitted to the Extended Program instead of the regular BSc programs if they do not match the prerequisites. The results of the admission test, which all applicants must take, are used to make further decisions.