How to Join the South African Army | Requirements and Document Needed, This page will help you apply for the South African Army and also let you know the entry requirements and other documents required from you. If you are interested in working for the South African Army, this page will give you a step-by-step guide on how to apply successfully.
The South African Army (SA Army) is the ground warfare branch of the South African National Defence Force.
THE MANDATE OF THE SA ARMY IS
- To provide combat-ready land forces
- To the pursuance of national defence and the prevention of war, failing which,
- To jointly and preferably multi-nationally, swiftly and decisively achieve national security goals
- To collaboratively promote peace and stability internally and externally in concurrence with international obligations.
- To contribute to the development and upliftment of South Africa, its people, and the African continent.
THE SA ARMY IS A PROFESSIONAL AND DYNAMIC FORCE.
REQUIREMENTS FOR JOINING THE SOUTH AFRICAN ARMY
- Must be between the age of 18-22 with only Gr 12
- Must be between the age of 18-26 with post Gr 12 qualification
- Must be a South African citizen
- Be preferably single
- Must not be area bound
- Must be medically fit
- No criminal offence
APPLYING FOR JOBS AT THE SOUTH AFRICAN ARMY
To join the South African Army (SA Army), follow the steps below:
STEP 1: Visit South African National Defence Force SANDF Website.
STEP 2: Click on ‘Application Form’
STEP 3: Click on ‘Download’
STEP 4: Download and save.
NOTE: Applicants must download the SA Army Application Form 2022 listed from the SANDF website, fill them out, and submit them to the address listed on each application form.
GRADUATES MSDS PROCESS
- Do not undergo psychometric evaluation
- Only medical examination, Fingerprints and mustering interview
- Still undergo normal MSDS Programme:
- Basic Military Training
- Corps Training
- The same principles apply as for GR 12 when considered for CSS contract
- May be considered for officer training if the candidate meets the requirements
The SA Army consists of the following careers:
- SA Infantry
- SA Artillery
- SA Air Defence Artillery
- SA Armour
- SA Engineer
- SA Intelligence
- SA Signal
Applications complying with the minimum requirements will be subjected to further screening. Candidates identified will then be invited to partake in a selection process.
The selection process entails the following:
The aim is to assess the candidates’ aptitude and potential to develop in the position that was applied for. The nature of these tests will depend on the position applied for.
Selection Board (formal interview):
A Selection Board will be conducted in order to assess the applicants’ interest in the position applied for, as well as their interest in the Defence Force in general. The interview will also focus on self-confidence, leadership potential, and communication skills.
A comprehensive medical evaluation will be conducted by appointed military medical practitioners in order to assess the applicants’ medical history and current medical status. All applicants must be declared fit for military training before commencement.
Fingerprints of applicants will be sent to the Criminal Record Bureau for verification. Records of convictions will be evaluated based on the severity thereof and how recently the offense occurred.
Offer of Employment
Successful applicants will receive an offer of employment. Candidates who are not successful will be informed by correspondence. It is unfortunate that not all applicants who are recommended for training will receive an offer of employment due to the large number of applications received.
BASIC MILITARY TRAINING
Basic Military Training is compulsory to all uniform personnel of the SA National Defence Force and is presented at the Air Force Gymnasium Boston (AFB Hoedspruit), over a period of approximately 13 weeks.
The following subjects will, amongst others, be presented during the training period:
- Military law
- Military ceremonies
- Buddy aid
- Physical training and Soldiership
For more information, please contact the
SA Army Recruitment Office:
- Private Bag X981, PRETORIA, 0001
- SA Army Headquarters, Dequar Road, PRETORIA