How NSFAS Applications Work For People With Disabilities

How NSFAS Applications Work For People With Disabilities | The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) offers bursaries to all eligible students, including those with disabilities. Their bursaries cover any level of tertiary education, such as first undergraduate degrees or diploma at any of South Africa’s 23 public universities.

The NSFAS bursary functions as one of the more inclusive bursaries in the country, accommodating the financial need of students of various circumstances to ensure that they are able to complete their studies. The bursary for disabled students covers tuition, books, accommodation including meals, and an assistive device – such as a wheelchair, Zoom Text software or a Jaws Reader, computer, or any device recommended by a doctor.

What do you need to know?

  • Bursaries are available to those with disabilities for any field of undergraduate study at a public South African university. This applies to a first degree or diploma
  • There are 23 universities, including universities of technology, in South Africa where learners with disabilities can apply for this bursary programme. The bursaries are also available to students studying through Unisa.
  • Learners must find out about deadlines for applications at the institution where they plan to study; learners should apply early – as soon as they receive their June Grade 12 results.
  • Learners must apply for admission and for NSFAS financial assistance at the university where they want to study. For more information they should visit the Financial Aid Office on the campus where they want to study to enquire about the NSFAS bursary for students with disabilities.

How to apply for a bursary?
NSFAS offers bursaries to students with disabilities. When applying for a disability bursary at a university or university of technology, you will need to take the following documents with you:

  • Grade 12 June results or certificate
  • A letter from the medical doctor showing proof of permanent disability
  • Green SA identity document with barcode
  • Proof of parents ‘latest income (eg. A pay slip, pension grant slip or affidavit if the parent is unemployed)

Therefore, if you are still unable to find the link(s) you are looking for, please visit the official website provided below, or could kindly drop a comment and we will give you a positive reply.

Leave a Reply